Skip to main content

Retired Minister-Taxable Income


A retiring minister receives a severance package from the church, and the congregation collects a love offering as additional financial assistance. Are the payments taxable?


Yes, the income will be characterized in the same manner as his standard compensation during his tenure as a minister. This is also true of deferred compensation plans under which the minister continues to receive support for a period of time after retirement. He should consider requesting that an appropriate portion be designated as housing allowance. Alternatively, he may wish to request withholding ("elective deferral") into a 403(b) retirement plan.


Several members pay out-of-pocket costs to provide home repairs on his house. Are their payments for these materials tax deductible as contributions? Are the payments for lumber, etc. taxable to the minister?


Since the costs paid and benefits received are related to a personal act between a benevolent donor and a donee and not related to an employer-employee relationship, the amounts are not considered compensation for the minister's services. They are neither deductible by the members, nor taxable to the minister.


The church congregation announces the establishment of an effort to collect contributions in order to fund home repairs to the retiring minister's home. The monies once collected are used to pay for lumber and other materials. Are the contributions deductible by the members and taxable to the minister?


An examination of IRS rulings and court case findings offers some fairly consistent guidance here, but there may be rare exceptions. Generally, the situation described here should result in charitable donation classification by the church with tax-deductible reporting made to its members and taxable income reportable to the minister on Form W-2.

Some limited evidence can be found for treating the payments out of the church's benevolence fund in support of a retired minister who has remained an active church member as non-taxable gifts, just as they would be treated for any non-employee receiving assistance from the church. In the case of a retired minister, it will be necessary to justify (if called upon to do so) that no services were rendered by the minister in exchange for the benevolent act of the congregation. It may be necessary to demonstrate by virtue of the passage of time (it's difficult to be more specific than this) that the payments were not associated with his employment.


Popular posts from this blog

Qualified Small Employer HRAs

On December 13, 2016, President Obama signed the 21st Century Cures Act, allowing qualified small employers to offer Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRA) that follow certain terms.

After the Affordable Care Act was passed, the IRS originally determined that an HRA was not a qualified group health plan. The Cures Act overrules this decision. HRAs are again an option for qualifying small employers.

To be eligible, the small employer must have fewer than 50 employees and must not offer a group health plan to any of its employees.

The Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) must be subject to the following terms.
No salary reduction contributions may be made (i.e., 100% employer-funded).Employer must receive proof of employee’s minimum essential coverage.Reimbursements must be for qualifying medical expenses.Reimbursements for any year cannot exceed $4,950 (or $10,000 for family coverage), which will be adjusted annually for inflation.Employer must offer the …

Gifts Paid Out of Church Funds: Form 1099-MISC Requirements

 A church gave a wedding gift of $1000 to a couple who are church members. No goods or services were provided by the couple in exchange for the gift.  Is a Form 1099-MISC required? 
Answer: In the following answer, we assume that the couple are not employees of the church from whom the gift could not be viewed as compensation for their services. Also, the amount seems to be small enough to avoid any concerns of "private inurement."

Accordingly, no Form 1099-MISC is required. According to the 2017 IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC a Form 1099-MISC is only required for payment of goods or services. The requirements are as follows:
"File Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, for each person to whom you have paid during the year:  At least $10 in royalties (see the instructions for box 2) or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest (see the instructions for box 8);  At least $600 in:  1. Rents (box 1);  2. Services performed by someone who is not your …

Revised Form I-9 Released

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services released a revised Form I-9. All new hires after January 21, 2017, must complete the revised Form I-9. All prior released versions of Form I-9 will be invalid for new hires.

Employers are required to have a completed hard copy of Form I-9 on file for each employee. Current employees do not need to re-complete the revised form.

More information on Form I-9 can be found on the USCIS website.