Skip to main content

Minister's Only Compensation--Living in the Parsonage


A youth minister (non-ordained) is being compensated solely by housing in the parsonage. Is the youth minister taxed on the value of living in the parsonage?


I'm assuming that even though he's not ordained, he's still a minister as defined by the IRS. The posting right before this one somewhat defined a minister. It says in part, "...licensed, ordained, performing what the IRS defines as "sacerdotal duties" (baptisms, communion, weddings, funerals), or conducting religious worship ... (Source: IRS Minister Audit Technique Guide, April 2009).

This is important. If he is not a minister, the value of the employer provided housing would likely be taxable for income tax purposes as well as for social security and Medicare purposes. Exception: "housing for the convenience of the employer" but I won't get into that one in this posting.

Back to the question, the minister is not subject to income tax on the fair rental value of the parsonage. However, he is subject to self-employment tax (Form 1040, Schedule SE).


If he is subject to SE tax is the church responsible for a paying a portion of his self-employment tax?


He is considered self-employed and responsible for his own SE tax. Many churches choose to voluntarily help with this tax--a blessing! But this payment is considered taxable income as well. Yet, the youth minister is obviously better off for the help.


Popular posts from this blog

Qualified Small Employer HRAs

On December 13, 2016, President Obama signed the 21st Century Cures Act, allowing qualified small employers to offer Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRA) that follow certain terms.

After the Affordable Care Act was passed, the IRS originally determined that an HRA was not a qualified group health plan. The Cures Act overrules this decision. HRAs are again an option for qualifying small employers.

To be eligible, the small employer must have fewer than 50 employees and must not offer a group health plan to any of its employees.

The Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) must be subject to the following terms.
No salary reduction contributions may be made (i.e., 100% employer-funded).Employer must receive proof of employee’s minimum essential coverage.Reimbursements must be for qualifying medical expenses.Reimbursements for any year cannot exceed $4,950 (or $10,000 for family coverage), which will be adjusted annually for inflation.Employer must offer the …

Gifts Paid Out of Church Funds: Form 1099-MISC Requirements

 A church gave a wedding gift of $1000 to a couple who are church members. No goods or services were provided by the couple in exchange for the gift.  Is a Form 1099-MISC required? 
Answer: In the following answer, we assume that the couple are not employees of the church from whom the gift could not be viewed as compensation for their services. Also, the amount seems to be small enough to avoid any concerns of "private inurement."

Accordingly, no Form 1099-MISC is required. According to the 2017 IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC a Form 1099-MISC is only required for payment of goods or services. The requirements are as follows:
"File Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, for each person to whom you have paid during the year:  At least $10 in royalties (see the instructions for box 2) or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest (see the instructions for box 8);  At least $600 in:  1. Rents (box 1);  2. Services performed by someone who is not your …

Revised Form I-9 Released

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services released a revised Form I-9. All new hires after January 21, 2017, must complete the revised Form I-9. All prior released versions of Form I-9 will be invalid for new hires.

Employers are required to have a completed hard copy of Form I-9 on file for each employee. Current employees do not need to re-complete the revised form.

More information on Form I-9 can be found on the USCIS website.