Skip to main content

"Net Income" Rules for a Non-Profit


Is a non-profit organization (NPO) allowed to make a profit during the year? If yes, is there a limit on the amount of income that can be carried over from year to year?


A NPO is allowed to have an excess of revenues over expenditures in a given year or accounting period, and there is no specific cap set by the Internal Revenue Code. Generally, NPOs refer to this condition as a net increase, because it is simply an increase in funds available for use in furthering the organization's exempt purpose. However, NPOs should be aware of the following IRS guidelines regarding sources and uses of funds.

Unrelated Business Income Tax
Revenues derived from sources unrelated to the organization's exempt purpose may be subject to unrelated business income tax (UBIT). IRS Publication 598 covers the basics of unrelated business income tax. Also, our January 10, 2011 blog post lays out some specific IRS standards regarding UBIT considerations.

Private Inurement:
Courts have coined the term "private inurement" to describe when a NPOs money or other assets are devoted to private uses by insiders instead of the charitable purposes they were intended for.

According to the IRS, "No part of the net earnings of a section 501(c)(3) organization may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. A private shareholder or individual is a person having a personal and private interest in the activities of the organization."

NPOs must carefully direct and document use of their funds toward clearly identified exempt purposes. Exempt purposes can be a nebulous term, but organizations that have applied for and received tax-exempt status from the IRS must have clearly stated purposes and should use any excess funds towards those purposes, rather than for the benefit of any private individuals. Specific uses of funds are at the discretion of the organization and its directors, but furthering the exempt purpose should always be the end goal. See this previous blog post for more on private inurement.

Designated Funds:
To answer the second question, it is very common for NPOs to report a substantial excess of revenues over expenditures in a Designated Fund. A Designated Fund is a specific fund used to finance or support an identified cause.

Designated Funds can either be initiated by the NPO or by a charitable donor. For example, a local church (the NPO) recently started raising estimated funds of $1 million for the construction of a new auditorium. The charitable donor can give money to be used specifically for the auditorium; the church cannot use the designated money for another purpose.

Let's say that at the end of the fiscal year, the church has raised $300,000 for the purpose of an auditorium. In this situation, the church may appear to have a very large "profit." However, as long as the money is designated for the purpose of the auditorium, the $300,000 increases a  "Designated Fund" which must be carried into the following year.


Popular posts from this blog

Housing Allowance and Form 1099-MISC Reporting


A church provides its minister a housing allowance, but for other purposes it believes that it must report the full amount of compensation (including the non-taxable housing allowance portion) on Form 1099-MISC (in order to demonstrate the full earnings of the minister). If the church reports his compensation,including the housing allowance, on Form 1099-MISC as taxable income, will he be able to deduct his housing expenses somewhere else on the Form 1040?


This questions brings up a couple of issues. First, most ministers are properly classified as employees who receive Form W-2, not as independent contractors who receive Form 1099-MISC. On Form W-2, Box 1 for taxable compensation is reduced reflecting the church's designation of a portion of his pay as non-taxable. Then in Box 14, it typically reports as a memorandum item his additional non-taxable, housing allowance compensation. In the situation addressed in the question, this Form W-2 reporting may or may not a…

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations


A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC?


We have written similar blog posts on this topic in the past (listed below), but we figured it was a good time for a review. 

Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The 2015 Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC. 

The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC:
Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation)Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers)Support sent directly to missionariesHere are some similar blog posts that we have written in the past:

Form 1099 for Payments to Other Ministries
Form 1099 for Non-profit?

Gifts Paid Out of Church Funds: Form 1099-MISC Requirements

 A church gave a wedding gift of $1000 to a couple who are church members. No goods or services were provided by the couple in exchange for the gift.  Is a Form 1099-MISC required? 
Answer: In the following answer, we assume that the couple are not employees of the church from whom the gift could not be viewed as compensation for their services. Also, the amount seems to be small enough to avoid any concerns of "private inurement."

Accordingly, no Form 1099-MISC is required. According to the 2017 IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC a Form 1099-MISC is only required for payment of goods or services. The requirements are as follows:
"File Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, for each person to whom you have paid during the year:  At least $10 in royalties (see the instructions for box 2) or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest (see the instructions for box 8);  At least $600 in:  1. Rents (box 1);  2. Services performed by someone who is not your …