Skip to main content

Tuition Statement Changes in Place for 2016


My daughter is in college. I heard that Form 1098-T for 2016 may report college tuition differently. Is this true?


The IRS has released the new 1098-T with several changes for 2016. According to the 2016 IRS instructions, institutions may no longer report the amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses, previously shown in box 2 of form 1098-T. Public Law 114-113, Division Q, section 212, now requires institutions to report only the amounts actually paid for qualified tuition.

Additionally, a new box has been added to the Student’s taxpayer identification box. According to the IRS, this box must be checked by the issuing educational institution “under penalty of perjury that you have complied with the standards promulgated by the secretary for obtaining the student’s TIN.”

The PATH Act of 2015 included this required change for 1098-T reporting.

***Update: The IRS issued Announcement 2016-17 on April 27, 2016, providing a limited penalty relief. Filers of Form 1098-T for 2016 may still report the amount billed for qualified tuition, rather than the payments received. This penalty relief does not apply to 2017 or beyond. 


Popular posts from this blog

Qualified Small Employer HRAs

On December 13, 2016, President Obama signed the 21st Century Cures Act, allowing qualified small employers to offer Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRA) that follow certain terms.

After the Affordable Care Act was passed, the IRS originally determined that an HRA was not a qualified group health plan. The Cures Act overrules this decision. HRAs are again an option for qualifying small employers.

To be eligible, the small employer must have fewer than 50 employees and must not offer a group health plan to any of its employees.

The Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) must be subject to the following terms.
No salary reduction contributions may be made (i.e., 100% employer-funded).Employer must receive proof of employee’s minimum essential coverage.Reimbursements must be for qualifying medical expenses.Reimbursements for any year cannot exceed $4,950 (or $10,000 for family coverage), which will be adjusted annually for inflation.Employer must offer the …

Housing Allowance when Bartering for Rent Payments


If a minister rents his principal residence, but he performs services (mowing the lawn, repairing the roof, etc.) in lieu of rent, can he still qualify the rent amount for a housing allowance tax benefit?


Of course, bartering income is taxable. The Internal Revenue Code interprets that above situation as follows: tenant/minister receives taxable income for the fair market value of the services he provides, andtenant/minster pays landlord for renal of residence. The minister in this case reports taxable income for services provided in lieu of rent. It is also likely subject to self-employment tax. He may then claim as qualifying housing allowance expense equal to the amount he "pays" for rent of his personal residence. Essentially, there is no difference than if the minister and his landlord simply traded checks.

See a past MinistryCPA post regarding this topic:

Mission Trips Involving Both Charitable and Personal Time


A church group went on a two-week mission trip, and a few of the members stayed an additional two weeks for personal time. Will the members who stayed the two additional weeks be able to deduct expenses from the trip?


IRS Pub 526 covers the topic of Charitable Contributions and, more specifically, travel expenses associated with charitable trips. The publication states that travel expenses will be deductible “if there is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel.” The publication also states, “The deduction for travel expenses won't be denied simply because you enjoy providing services to the charitable organization. Even if you enjoy the trip, you can take a charitable contribution deduction for your travel expenses if you are on duty in a genuine and substantial sense throughout the trip. However, if you have only nominal duties, or if for significant parts of the trip you don't have any duties, you can't deduct you…