Skip to main content

Summary of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act

The “Families First Act” requires virtually all small employers to extend sick leave to affected employees, but a tax credit will help small business and not-for-profit organization employers pay for it.

Following are the most critical provisions, we believe, for small employers:

·    1. Public Health Emergency Leave (Division C of the Act effective April 2, 2020) – Small employers who have “employees who are unable to work (including telework) due to a need to care for a child under age 18 if school or child care is unavailable due to a public health emergency” are required to:
o  Provide paid leave “if needed by any employee who has been employed at least 30 calendar days,”
o   Pay them “at a rate no less than two-thirds of the regular rate of pay” for public health emergencies declared by a federal, state or local authority that extend beyond 10 days (“employees may be required to use existing accrued leave during the first 10 days”).
     2. Paid Sick Leave (Division E of the Act effective April 2, 2020) – Small employers are required to pay immediate paid leave (no 10-day waiting period as under Division C cited above):
o   For full-time employees, 80 hours, and for part-time employees, two weeks based on average hours worked.
o   Triggered if an employee is unable to work (or telework) due to:
1.   Self-care leave for federal, state or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19, advice of a health care provider, or to obtain a medical diagnosis if the employee has COVID-19 symptoms (at employee’s regular rate of pay up to $511 per day), or
2.   Family-care leave in order to care for someone needing the first two “self-care” categories, or care for a son or daughter if the school or place of care has been closed due to COVID-19 (exemptions may be available for businesses less than 50 employees whose “viability” could be jeopardized) (at two-thirds employee’s regular rate of pay up to $200 per day).

·    3. Federal funding for small employers
o   The wages paid under the Families First Act” would not be subject to the employer portion of social security tax (6.2% of gross wages).
o   A refundable credit against payroll taxes for wages paid to employees for paid leave under Division C or E. Similar benefits are available to self-employed people but beyond the scope of this post at this time.

·    4. Employers may also be able to reimburse employees for additional costs they incur due to the COVID-19 emergency without reporting those reimbursements as employee wages (“qualifying disaster relief payments”).

This summary (honestly) is brief, but represents our best attempt to quickly share some important information with small employers.


Popular posts from this blog

Housing Allowance and Form 1099-MISC Reporting


A church provides its minister a housing allowance, but for other purposes it believes that it must report the full amount of compensation (including the non-taxable housing allowance portion) on Form 1099-MISC (in order to demonstrate the full earnings of the minister). If the church reports his compensation,including the housing allowance, on Form 1099-MISC as taxable income, will he be able to deduct his housing expenses somewhere else on the Form 1040?


This questions brings up a couple of issues. First, most ministers are properly classified as employees who receive Form W-2, not as independent contractors who receive Form 1099-MISC. On Form W-2, Box 1 for taxable compensation is reduced reflecting the church's designation of a portion of his pay as non-taxable. Then in Box 14, it typically reports as a memorandum item his additional non-taxable, housing allowance compensation. In the situation addressed in the question, this Form W-2 reporting may or may not a…

Debits and Credits for Designated Gifts


A church is setting up Quickbooks for its accounting, but its personnel have little experience with fund accounting. What are the entries for the receipt and disbursement of designated gifts and the opening balances?


I recommend that most churches that do not need to present financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles observe the following steps. Even those churches that do report using GAAP can employ these methods, but must make some adjustments when preparing their financial statements.

What I will demonstrate relates to what most churches call "designated gifts" (CPAs call these Temporarily Restricted gifts). These are gifts that donors contribute with the intention that the church will spend the funds as they direct. Most churches do not receive "endowment gifts" in which donors prohibit the expenditure of the core gift (CPAs call these Permanently Restricted gifts). Only earnings on the subsequent investments…

Threat to Tax-Exempt Status? Using Facilities for Profit


Can a church member conduct piano lessons in her church's auditorium without threatening the loss of the congregation's tax-exempt status?


Our answer comes from Matthew Davis, J.D., former attorney with the nationally recognized Christian Law Association, who currently practices law in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Florida.

"As a tax-exempt entity, churches must be careful not only in what activities they engage in directly, but also in how they allow the facilities to be used.

"The primary way in which this can come up relates to the requirement for tax-exempt status that the ministry's activities must relate to its exempt purpose. Assuming the church's exempt purposes are 'religious, charitable, and educational,' (three of the purposes specifically mentioned in the Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3)), piano lessons would certainly fit within that expectation as 'educational' and therefore not be a problem on the tax-exempt purpose i…