Skip to main content

QuickBooks Classes for Church Ministries


A not-for-profit organization wants to establish two ministries with similar but independent operations, for example, a men’s ministry and a women’s ministry. It wishes to prepare and implement a budget for each ministry and wants the ability to create reports for each ministry. Ultimately, it wants any excess or deficiency of receipts compared to disbursements for a given year to be “remembered” as the ministry continues year upon year.

Additionally, donors are occasionally solicited to contribute to short-term special projects with the promise that their donations will be spent only for that temporary project. For example, perhaps the women's ministry wishes to received designated contributions toward a one-time equipment purchase.

How might an organization accomplish these multiple objectives: 1) tracking men's and women's ministry general fund balances year-on-year, and 2) tracking special projects' receipts and disbursements? 


Before addressing the question, we should acknowledge that the simplest approach to handling Designated Fund Gifts and similar activity involves posting all General Fund transactions to Income and Expense accounts, while all Designated Fund transactions are posted to Equity accounts.

The alternative approach, which we will discuss, requires a higher-level of knowledge and consistency when posting transactions. The hypothetical scenario we have offered effectively illustrates two separate but related accounting system practices.

1. The Use of Classes

We caution users of a class system to beware of overusing classes, as typically no more than two or three classes are needed (e.g., Men's Ministries, Women's Ministries, and perhaps one or two more). In this example, the not-for-profit should create two classes in QuickBooks (also referred to as divisions or departments in other software): men's ministry and women's ministry.

Every receipt of income must be posted to a class, or if appropriate, split between classes ("split entry" in QuickBooks). The same process should be followed for expenses. This will result in an individual Profit and Loss report for each class and one for the entire ministry.

At the close of the year, most accounting software will zero-out all Income and Expense accounts and place the net income or loss amount to a single account in the Fund Balance/Equity section of the Balance Sheet. To remember any excess or deficiency of receipts for each class in the following year, an adjusting journal entry must be prepared and posted to two separate Equity accounts maintained for each respective class.

2. Special Projects

For special projects that are not part of the general operations budget, we recommend the use of Fund Balance/Equity accounts to record designated donor receipts and the careful expenditure of those gifts. This allows for designated funds to remain separate from the General Fund operation of the ministry. For example, if the women's ministry wishes to receive designated contributions toward a one-time equipment purchase, it might create a separate Designated Fund Equity account specifically for related contributions and disbursements.


Popular posts from this blog

Debits and Credits for Designated Gifts

Question:A church is setting up QuickBooks for its accounting, but its personnel have little experience with fund accounting. What are the entries for the receipt and disbursement of designated gifts and the opening balances?Answer:We recommend that most churches that do not need to present financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) observe the following steps. Even those churches that do report using GAAP can employ these methods but must make some adjustments when preparing their financial statements.What we will demonstrate relates to what most churches call "designated gifts" (CPAs call these Temporarily Restricted gifts). These are gifts that donors contribute with the intention that the church will spend the funds as they direct. Most churches do not receive "endowment gifts" in which donors prohibit the expenditure of the core gift (CPAs call these Permanently Restricted gifts). Only earnings on the subsequent inv…

Housing Allowance and Form 1099-MISC Reporting

Question:A church provides its minister a housing allowance but believes it must report the full amount of compensation (including the non-taxable housing allowance portion) on Form 1099-MISC in order to demonstrate the full earnings of the minister. (Starting in 2020, Form 1099-MISC is replaced with Form 1099-NEC for non-employee compensation.)If the church reports his compensation, including the housing allowance, on the Form 1099-NEC as taxable income, will he be able to deduct his housing expenses somewhere else on the Form 1040?Answer:This question brings up a couple of issues. First, most ministers are properly classified as employees who receive Form W-2, not as independent contractors who receive Form 1099-NEC. Box 1 on Form W-2 reports taxable compensation. It is reduced to reflect the church's designation of a portion of his pay as non-taxable housing. Then, in Box 14 (Other), Form W-2 typically reports as a memorandum item his additional non-taxable, housing allowance c…

Rental of a Church Parsonage to a Non-Minister

Question:A church owns a parsonage, but the pastor does not use it as he owns his own home. The church rents the parsonage to a tenant other than a minister or employee of the church. Will the church be responsible for paying income tax on these monies as Unrelated Business Income (filing a Form 990-T) even if the money is used to carry on the business of the church? Answer:Whether the money is used for church purposes is irrelevant. IRS Publication 598 states:"If an exempt organization regularly carries on a trade or business not substantially related to its exempt purpose, except that it provides funds to carry out that purpose, the organization is subject to tax on its income from that unrelated trade or business."Fortunately, in the case of rental income from real property, such income is "excluded in computing unrelated business taxable income" (Publication 598). Caution: see content below regarding debt-financed property. However, a second concern not addresse…