Skip to main content

Is Education Assistance to a Pastor Considered Taxable Income?


The pastor of a small church is furthering his education while fulfilling his duties as a minister. He wishes to complete a master's degree to improve his knowledge and abilities as a Christian leader. If the church pays the university for its pastor's master's degree, is the benefit taxable income to him? 


There are two options to be considered when answering this question. The IRS provides two avenues in which education benefits provided by the employer may be excluded from taxable income, each with separate requirements. The education assistance may be excluded from income if it qualifies as a working condition fringe benefit or is part of an educational assistance program.

1) Working Condition Fringe Benefit

If education benefits meet certain requirements they may qualify as a working condition fringe benefit, and therefore be excluded from income. IRS Publication 15-B (2020) describes the specific requirements that must be met for job-related education expenses to be excluded from income. It is important to note that each course must be individually considered, and degree programs may not always qualify. 

In order to be considered a workplace benefit, the education must meet one of two tests. The education must either maintain or improve skills needed in the job, or be required by either the employer or law to keep his job or present salary. 

Furthermore, the IRS describes that the education does not qualify as a working condition fringe benefit if it 1) is needed to meet the educational requirements of the employer or 2) is part of a program that will qualify the employee for a different trade or business. 

Considering these requirements, the education expenses of the pastor described in the above situation may qualify for exclusion since the courses would, in fact, improve his skills as a pastor. However, the church must be careful that the education is not needed to meet the standard requirements of the pastor. For example, if the church requires that their pastor has a Master of Divinity then hires an individual and pays for him to get his master's degree, the education assistance does not qualify and is taxable as income.  

2) Educational Assistance Program

Another option the church might consider is whether to set in place an educational assistance program for its employees. Chapter 11 of IRS Publication 970 (2019) states that taxpayers can exclude up to $5,250 of educational assistance benefits provided by their employer under a qualified educational assistance program. Any educational benefit over $5,250 is taxable as income. An educational assistance program must be a nondiscriminatory, written plan provided only to employees. It also must meet each of the following requirements found in IRS Publication 15-B.
  1. The program benefits employees who qualify under set rules that don't favor highly compensated employees. (For a church, essentially, "highly compensated" doesn't apply if total compensation does not exceed $125,000.)
  2. The program doesn't provide more than 5% of its benefits to shareholders or owners (of which, of course, churches have none).
  3. The program doesn't allow employees to receive cash or other benefits instead of educational assistance.
  4. Eligible employees are given reasonable notice of the program.



Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Debits and Credits for Designated Gifts

Question: A church is setting up QuickBooks for its accounting, but its personnel have little experience with fund accounting. What are the entries for the receipt and disbursement of designated gifts and the opening balances? Answer: We recommend that most churches that do not need to present financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) observe the following steps. Even those churches that do report using GAAP can employ these methods but must make some adjustments when preparing their financial statements. What we will demonstrate relates to what most churches call "designated gifts" (CPAs call these  Temporarily Restricted  gifts). These are gifts that donors contribute with the intention that the church will spend the funds as they direct. Most churches do not receive "endowment gifts" in which donors prohibit the expenditure of the core gift (CPAs call these  Permanently Restricted  gifts). Only earnings on the subsequ

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni