Skip to main content

Benevolence Fund Receipts and Disbursements


Several people in the community at large have been sending a church regular gifts for a disabled member of the church. None of the donors are close relatives and none of them are her employers (she doesn't "work" for them). The church has been disbursing the money to her monthly. No Form W-2 or 1099 has been issued and there isn't anything that she's expected to "do" as a result. Is the above inappropriate? Alternatively, will use of the funds to pay her bills instead of giving it to her directly eliminate any concerns?


This appears to be a classic example of truly benevolent activity in the Scriptural sense--no motivations other than caring for a "widow (or disabled) indeed" (I Timothy 5.3). The church congregation has recognized a benevolent need, established a procedure to collect gifts, and controlled its disbursement in accordance with the congregation's directives. The form of the benevolent activities and the substance of the motivations for doing so are consistent. No one is compensating the needy person for services nor paying for benefits that they are otherwise obligated to provide. The situation described in the question appears appropriate. Payment of a recipient's bills never successfully disguises amounts that represent compensation for services. These are called "payment in kind." But it does not appear that that is what is occurring in the situation described here.

The same rules apply to other benevolent activities (for example, a church establishing a "wheelchair fund" designated to receive gifts to buy a wheelchair for a disabled teenager).

For more information, check out my December 20, 2008, posting entitled Benevolence Policies.

P.S. My January 20, 2009, Post may have created some confusion:

I said that non-deductible gifts "include contributions to a qualified organization if you indicate that your contribution is for a specific person. But you can deduct a contribution that you give to a qualified organization that in turn helps needy or worthy individuals if you do not indicate that your contribution is for a specific person."

The determination relates to control. If the church determines to provide benevolent assistance to a needy individual, then it is not the donor who is controlling its disbursement. He or she is simply responding to an invitation to give to a charitable cause. I understand the confusion that this can generate.


  1. So if the church gives cash directly to someone in need, how should that be documented?

  2. Good question...
    First, as I've worked with churches and participated as a church leader myself, I believe it's best to issue payment directly to the benevolent need. A number of years ago, I was dismayed along with other leaders to find that the church's benevolent check to help a needy family had been cashed at a tavern! We should have gone to the grocery store with the individuals, I guess.
    Second, I recommend that the church leaders keep minutes documenting their decisions so that there's proper accountability relating to the church's benevolent fund.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Housing Allowance and Form 1099-MISC Reporting


A church provides its minister a housing allowance, but for other purposes it believes that it must report the full amount of compensation (including the non-taxable housing allowance portion) on Form 1099-MISC (in order to demonstrate the full earnings of the minister). If the church reports his compensation,including the housing allowance, on Form 1099-MISC as taxable income, will he be able to deduct his housing expenses somewhere else on the Form 1040?


This questions brings up a couple of issues. First, most ministers are properly classified as employees who receive Form W-2, not as independent contractors who receive Form 1099-MISC. On Form W-2, Box 1 for taxable compensation is reduced reflecting the church's designation of a portion of his pay as non-taxable. Then in Box 14, it typically reports as a memorandum item his additional non-taxable, housing allowance compensation. In the situation addressed in the question, this Form W-2 reporting may or may not a…

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations


A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC?


We have written similar blog posts on this topic in the past (listed below), but we figured it was a good time for a review. 

Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The 2015 Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC. 

The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC:
Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation)Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers)Support sent directly to missionariesHere are some similar blog posts that we have written in the past:

Form 1099 for Payments to Other Ministries
Form 1099 for Non-profit?

Gifts Paid Out of Church Funds: Form 1099-MISC Requirements

 A church gave a wedding gift of $1000 to a couple who are church members. No goods or services were provided by the couple in exchange for the gift.  Is a Form 1099-MISC required? 
Answer: In the following answer, we assume that the couple are not employees of the church from whom the gift could not be viewed as compensation for their services. Also, the amount seems to be small enough to avoid any concerns of "private inurement."

Accordingly, no Form 1099-MISC is required. According to the 2017 IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC a Form 1099-MISC is only required for payment of goods or services. The requirements are as follows:
"File Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, for each person to whom you have paid during the year:  At least $10 in royalties (see the instructions for box 2) or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest (see the instructions for box 8);  At least $600 in:  1. Rents (box 1);  2. Services performed by someone who is not your …