Skip to main content

Pastor Appreciation (Love) Gifts


A bi-vocational pastor works a full-time secular job, and also shepherds a small church. He receives no salary from the church. Once a year the church membership on its own initiative takes up a collection and provides it to the minister as a “pastor appreciation” gift. Does this gift represent taxable income?


This situation mimics the case of itinerant ministers. To the extent that the minister has unreimbursed expenses it will be non-taxable (reportable as income less expenses on Form 1040, Schedule C). The individual here apparently holds himself out as a minister of the gospel and apparently is recognized as such by a grateful congregation that collected a pastor appreciation gift. This love offering is taxable to the extent it exceeds his business (ministry) expenses.


  1. What law or regulation are you siting ? Because the regs only say if the minister is an employee of the church the income must be reported but in this case he's not. What gives ?

  2. I'll try to respond briefly to the following comment:
    What law or regulation are you siting (sic)? Because the regs only say if the minister is an employee of the church the income must be reported but in this case he's not. What gives ?

    The pastor holds himself out as a "minister of the gospel" and it is for his services as a minister that the collection has been made to compensate, in part, his services. He is not being assisted by the congregation's benevolent fund for some need not associated with the performance of services.

    If such a case were able to escape tax, it is my judgment based on 25+ years of research and tax preparation is these areas that the traveling evangelist who receives "gifts" every week for his services could make an equal claim of non-taxable status.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Qualified Small Employer HRAs

On December 13, 2016, President Obama signed the 21st Century Cures Act, allowing qualified small employers to offer Health Reimbursement Arrangements (HRA) that follow certain terms.

After the Affordable Care Act was passed, the IRS originally determined that an HRA was not a qualified group health plan. The Cures Act overrules this decision. HRAs are again an option for qualifying small employers.

To be eligible, the small employer must have fewer than 50 employees and must not offer a group health plan to any of its employees.

The Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) must be subject to the following terms.
No salary reduction contributions may be made (i.e., 100% employer-funded).Employer must receive proof of employee’s minimum essential coverage.Reimbursements must be for qualifying medical expenses.Reimbursements for any year cannot exceed $4,950 (or $10,000 for family coverage), which will be adjusted annually for inflation.Employer must offer the …

Housing Allowance when Bartering for Rent Payments


If a minister rents his principal residence, but he performs services (mowing the lawn, repairing the roof, etc.) in lieu of rent, can he still qualify the rent amount for a housing allowance tax benefit?


Of course, bartering income is taxable. The Internal Revenue Code interprets that above situation as follows: tenant/minister receives taxable income for the fair market value of the services he provides, andtenant/minster pays landlord for renal of residence. The minister in this case reports taxable income for services provided in lieu of rent. It is also likely subject to self-employment tax. He may then claim as qualifying housing allowance expense equal to the amount he "pays" for rent of his personal residence. Essentially, there is no difference than if the minister and his landlord simply traded checks.

See a past MinistryCPA post regarding this topic:

Mission Trips Involving Both Charitable and Personal Time


A church group went on a two-week mission trip, and a few of the members stayed an additional two weeks for personal time. Will the members who stayed the two additional weeks be able to deduct expenses from the trip?


IRS Pub 526 covers the topic of Charitable Contributions and, more specifically, travel expenses associated with charitable trips. The publication states that travel expenses will be deductible “if there is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel.” The publication also states, “The deduction for travel expenses won't be denied simply because you enjoy providing services to the charitable organization. Even if you enjoy the trip, you can take a charitable contribution deduction for your travel expenses if you are on duty in a genuine and substantial sense throughout the trip. However, if you have only nominal duties, or if for significant parts of the trip you don't have any duties, you can't deduct you…