Skip to main content

Unsolicited, Unilateral Gifts Directed to Individuals


Financial gifts are given by several persons to our former pastor who is now retired. The question is: since they give through the church, are their gifts deductible and do we need to give him a Form W-2 at the end of the year or are these gifts not taxable? 


The way the question is worded leads me to believe that the actions of the donors were unsolicited (i.e., the church did not take corporate action to initiate the collection of funds in order to compensate its former pastor). The church is simply acting as a conduit to forward the gifts  to the pastor.

To be deductible, charitable contributions must be made to a qualified organization, donors releasing control of the funds to it in order that it might accomplish its charitable purposes. On occasion, a church will encourage contributions to enable it to compensate its employees, including its pastor(s). These contributions are deductible by the donors. The recipients are generally subject to income and self-employment tax (see other postings within this blog for exceptions or strategies to avoid or limit these taxes).

Payments to individuals are not considered qualified organizations per IRS Publication 526, even if the organization is used as a conduit to accomplish the donor’s unilateral show of generosity. Individuals who make contributions to another individual are not able to take a tax deduction, nor is the gift taxable to the recipient.

The members of my Federal Taxation I class at Maranatha Baptist Bible College in Watertown, Wisconsin have taken on the challenge of study and research to answer the posted question. Aaron Oberholtzer of Marinette, Wisconsin gets credit for this one.


Popular posts from this blog

Housing Allowance when Bartering for Rent Payments


If a minister rents his principal residence, but he performs services (mowing the lawn, repairing the roof, etc.) in lieu of rent, can he still qualify the rent amount for a housing allowance tax benefit?


Of course, bartering income is taxable. The Internal Revenue Code interprets that above situation as follows: tenant/minister receives taxable income for the fair market value of the services he provides, andtenant/minster pays landlord for renal of residence. The minister in this case reports taxable income for services provided in lieu of rent. It is also likely subject to self-employment tax. He may then claim as qualifying housing allowance expense equal to the amount he "pays" for rent of his personal residence. Essentially, there is no difference than if the minister and his landlord simply traded checks.

See a past MinistryCPA post regarding this topic:

Mission Trips Involving Both Charitable and Personal Time


A church group went on a two-week mission trip, and a few of the members stayed an additional two weeks for personal time. Will the members who stayed the two additional weeks be able to deduct expenses from the trip?


IRS Pub 526 covers the topic of Charitable Contributions and, more specifically, travel expenses associated with charitable trips. The publication states that travel expenses will be deductible “if there is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel.” The publication also states, “The deduction for travel expenses won't be denied simply because you enjoy providing services to the charitable organization. Even if you enjoy the trip, you can take a charitable contribution deduction for your travel expenses if you are on duty in a genuine and substantial sense throughout the trip. However, if you have only nominal duties, or if for significant parts of the trip you don't have any duties, you can't deduct you…

403(b) Contribution Calculations Exclude Housing Allowance


Should 403(b) contributions and the subsequent match be based on the pastor's total income from the church (including housing allowance) or just from the salary minus housing allowance?


According to Richard R. Hammar, J.D., LL.M., CPA, in his book 2015 Church & Clergy Tax Guide, “Section 107 of the tax code specifies that a minister’s housing allowance (or the annual rental value of a parsonage) is not included in the minister’s gross income for income tax reporting purposes. Therefore, it would appear that the definition of includible compensation for purposes of computing the limit on annual additions to a 403(b) plan would not include the portion of a minister’s housing allowance that is excludable from gross income." 

Hammar's Church Law and Tax Report is an excellent resource that many ministries should consider as annual subscribers.