Skip to main content

Housing Allowance Clarifications


If a minister doesn't want to keep records, can he simply accept the fair market rental value (plus actual cost of utilities)?


Unfortunately, the Clergy Housing Allowance Clarification Act of 2002 clearly says, "No." The amount excluded from the minister’s gross income as a housing allowance is limited to the least of the following: (a) the amount actually used to provide a home, (b) the amount officially designated as a housing allowance, or c) the fair rental value of the home (plus utilities). I've found that the fair rental value is rarely the lowest amount, except when the minister's home undergoes considerable remodeling costs or a large mortgage prepayment is made.

But... what happens when a minister pays off his home mortgage? Can he simply claim the fair market rental value? Again, unfortunately, "no." I know it sounds weird, but prepayments on a minister's home may be counterproductive, taxwise.

Follow-up Question:

How does one determine the fair market rental value?

Follow-up Answer:

The IRS will expect the minister to do his homework on this one. Local advertised comparable home rental rates may help. Ministers have also called upon knowledgeable realtors. Ask for the realtor's response in writing so that documentation is available in case of an audit. Most realtors' estimates will fall in a range and will not include the fact that the home is furnished--an obvious increase in value to any potential renter.


  1. Can you payoff a mortgage and prorate the prepayment each year over the life of the original loan for clergy housing allowance deduction purposes?

  2. Good question-please follow the link below for a blog post on this issue.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f