Skip to main content

Minister, is an IRA the Best Option for You? Retirement Alternatives


If I can make retirement contributions to both a Traditional IRA and to a church plan is there a reason to prefer one over the other?


Yes! Most ministers should likely be choosing a 403(b) church plan.

In addition to a Traditional IRA, a minister may choose to claim a contribution to another retirement plan, like a 403(b) church plan. However, before choosing to do so, it is important to understand the benefits and disadvantages of both a Traditional IRA and a 403(b) plan.

Contributions to a Traditional Individual Retirement Account are not employer plans that are deducted up front from a minister's pay (reported on Form W-2). Instead, these amounts are truly deducted on his personal tax return. The benefit of the IRA is that it can be funded after December 31st and still count against one's taxable income. Additionally, an IRA does not require church sponsorship and has lower fees to establish an account.

While there are several benefits of an IRA, there are also some disadvantages. First, the annual contribution is limited to $6,000 per year (2019 level). Second, a required minimum distribution (RMD) is mandatory at the age of 70½ even if the pastor continues to serve full-time as an employee. Third, IRAs only reduce income tax, but do not reduce self-employment (SECA) tax.

Contributions to a 403(b) plan are made as “elective deferrals” from the minister's church compensation, then transmitted to a 403(b) investment account. The amount the minister elects to have withheld from his pay reduces his taxable employee compensation. Ministers over the age of 49 can contribute as much as $25,000 per year (2019 level). Internal Revenue Code 403(b) plans can also be established with employer matching benefits if the church is willing and able to afford the typically higher fees to establish such church plans. The amount withheld is not deducted again on his personal return since it was already subtracted from his income by his employer before preparing Form W-2.

For a minister as an employee who is subject to SECA tax, the elective deferrals reduce both income tax and SECA tax. However, unlike a Traditional IRA, a 403(b) plan can only be funded during the calendar year because it is a deduction from his paycheck. It is important to note an exception may exist for certain ministers (i.e. traveling evangelists) participating in a "solo 403(b)" which is beyond the scope of this post.

Unlike Traditional IRAs, post-retirement distributions from church-established 403(b) plans may be designated by the church as housing allowance (IRS Audit Technique Guides - Ministers). Also, unlike IRA accounts, ministers who postpone retirement and remain full-time employees by the church after age 70½ can delay receiving RMDs.

If you would like to discuss 403(b) church plan accounts, benefits, or contributions further, please contact us at


Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f