Skip to main content

2023 Tax Adjustments for Inflation

 The IRS announced on Tuesday, October 18 that several tax provisions would be changed for the 2023 tax year due to the high levels of inflation. The adjustments will be applicable in 2023 and relate to returns filed in 2024. There many changes, but we will cover the changes that apply to the majority of taxpayers. 

Adjusted 2023 Tax Brackets


    • < $11,000: 10%
    • $11,000 - $44,725: 12%
    • $44,725 - $95,375: 22%
    • $95,375 - $182,100: 24%
    • $182,100 - $231,250: 32%
    • $231,250 - $578,125: 35%
    • > $578,125: 37%

Married Filing Jointly 

    • < $22,000: 10%
    • $22,000 - $89,450: 12%
    • $89,450 - $190,750: 22%
    • $190,750 - $364,200: 24%
    • $364,200 - $462,500: 32%
    • $462,500 - $693,750: 35%
    • >$693,750: 37%
Standard Deduction
  • Single- $13,850
  • Married Filing Jointly- $27,700
  • Head of Household- $20,800
Earned Income Credit

The maximum EIC for 2023 will be increased by $495, and appropriate adjustments will be made to all thresholds. 

Retirement Account Contributions

The maximum contribution limit for retirement accounts was also adjusted based on inflation. Now investors can contribute up to $6,500 to their IRA's with no penalty, and $22,500 to their 401(k), 403(b), and 457 plans. 

Other adjustments pertain to Adjusted Minimum Tax, Qualified Transportation Fringe Benefits, Employee Health Benefits, Medical Savings Accounts, Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, Estate exclusions, allowable adoption expenses, and the maximum yearly gift allowance. These changes are more specific in their application but could affect your personal taxes. For more information pertaining to these changes please see the IRS notice linked here


Popular posts from this blog

Form 944 or 941 Filing for Churches

Question:   A new church filed for an employer identification number (EIN) recently. It received notification from the IRS about the EIN, stating that the church must file Form 944 by the following January deadline. The church has no non-ministerial staff members. Since income tax withholding is elective by ministers and none of the pastors has elected to request non-mandatory withholding is the church required to file Form 944 annually? Also, a quarterly Form 941 (rather than an annual Form 944) is required of some employers. Which IRS form, if any, should be filed? Answer: According to IRS Section 1402(c) and 3121(c), ministers are not subject to mandatory income tax withholding. Unless one or more ministerial employees request non-mandatory withholding, church employers with only ministerial employees do not need to file Form 941 or Form 944.  The IRS  Ministers Audit Technique Guide  explains in further detail a minister's treatments for social security, Medicare tax, Fed

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Rental of a Church Parsonage to a Non-Minister

Question: A church owns a parsonage, but the pastor does not use it as he owns his own home. The church rents the parsonage to a tenant other than a minister or employee of the church. Will the church be responsible for paying income tax on these monies as Unrelated Business Income (filing a Form 990-T) even if the money is used to carry on the business of the church? Answer: Whether the money is used for church purposes is irrelevant.  IRS Publication 598  states: "If an exempt organization regularly carries on a trade or business not substantially related to its exempt purpose, except that it provides funds to carry out that purpose, the organization is subject to tax on its income from that unrelated trade or business." Fortunately, in the case of rental income from real property, such income is "excluded in computing unrelated business taxable income" (Publication 598). Caution: see content below regarding debt-financed property.  However, a second concern not a