Skip to main content

Minister's Exemption from Self-Employment Tax


If a minister has acquired tax exempt status on Oct. 15, 2008, but has pastored since being ordained in 2006, is he refunded his social security and medicare taxes paid during that time?


If a minister wishes to pursue exemption from self-employment (SE) tax--social security and medicare taxes--he must apply no later than the due date of his tax return for the second year in which has self-employment income greater than $400 any portion of which is attributable to his employment as a minister (source: instructions for IRS Form 4361).

Form 4361 requires the applicant to indicate these first two years. Publication 517 describes the process for amending earlier years' returns in order to receive a refund of previously paid SE tax. Generally, you have three years after the due date of any return to file for a refund of overpaid tax.

Answering the above question specifically, if 2006 and 2007 were the two years listed on Form 4361 and the IRS granted final approval of the application on October 15, 2008, then the minister has until April 15, 2010, to apply for a refund of SE tax related to his ministerial income in 2006. He will have until 4/15/11 to seek a refund for his 2007 overpayment.


Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f