Skip to main content

Out-of-Pocket Contributions


What constitutes charities given in kind (not money)? When individuals make meals for those ill in their churches or meals for the hospital are they deductible as charitable contributions?


Tax law prohibits deductions for contributions (direct and out-of-pocket) to individuals; a qualified charitable organization must be the recipient. However, Internal Revenue Service Bulletin (IRB) No. 1997-5 allows deductions for "volunteers who incurred unreimbursed out-of-pocket expenses while performing services for a charity to substantiate their contributions" particularly those "incurred incident to the rendition of services to a donee organization" (page 9).

I interpret IRB 1997-5 as follows. Taking a meal to a fellow church member at home or to an individual in a hospital is not deductible--a wonderful philanthropic activity, but not deductible. Also, churches organizing dinners for common sharing often ask members to "bring a plate to pass" -- not deductible. However, if a church or other 501 (c)(3) charity sponsors a meal(s) for needy individuals and a donor responds by providing food, thus incurring unreimbursed out-of-pocket costs, then a deduction is permitted.

According to IRB 1997-5 "to carry out the purposes of the statute, volunteers claiming a charitable contribution deduction for an unreimbursed expense of $250 or more are still required to obtain substantiation confirming the type of services they performed for the charity" (page 9). In others, if you give more than $250, request a letter from the organization acknowledging your participation.

See also 2008 Publication 26 entitled Charitable Contributions (pages 5 and 13). The Publication offers one example: "You can deduct reasonable unreimbursed out-of-pocket expenses you pay to allow underprivileged youth to attend athletic events, movies, or dinners. The youths must be selected by a charitable organization whose goal is to reduce junenile delinquency. Your own similar expenses in accompanying the youths are not deductible" (page 5). Presumably, the same rules apply to church donations to send needy youths to Bible camp.


Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f