Skip to main content

More Missionary Form 1099-MISC Questions and Answers


A church provides financial support to a retired couple who works in a ministry that the church also supports through its Missionary Fund. The amount exceeds $600. Should it provide them with a Form 1099-MISC?


If a church sends the checks directly to them, not the ministry, then it needs to issue Form 1099-MISC since these disbursements relate to services they provided which were being compensated by the church's support.


A church sent support to a missionary through a Mission Board, but then made some direct payments to him for love offerings given so he could take a missions trip. The treasurer provided a Form 1099-MISC for the amount paid directly to him as a result of the love offering. Was the treasurer correct in filing Form 1099-MISC?


It is very difficult to separate compensation for missionaries whose livelihood is from the ministry from disbursements not related to their "employment." This is why all gifts to employees or independent contractors (missionaries in the case citing here) are considered taxable compensation. Unlike the situation when a volunteer raises support for travel expenses to go to a foreign field, missionaries are considered to be engaged in for-profit business activity. Accordingly, I believe it is correct to issue the Form 1099-MISC for the love offering directed to the missionary's travel ("missions trip") fund. To the extent he can document his deductible business travel expenses he will avoid income and SE tax on the earnings.


  1. I agree, and would add that if the missionary is a minister, that opens up an entire range of deductions for housing and related costs. Further, depending on other factors, much if not all the income may be excluded from income tax (but NOT self-employment tax).


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f