Skip to main content

Partial-Year Housing Allowance


A pastor begins serving at a new church on July 1 of a given year. The church intends to designate a portion of his compensation as housing allowance. How should the pastor and the church establish a partial-year housing allowance?


The pastor can receive a housing allowance for a partial tax year. In order to do so, he should request a designation from the church of an agreed-upon portion of his compensation as housing allowance. This portion or percentage can then be applied against his salary to determine the designated amount of housing allowance. Additionally, he will be required to comply with the final two rules for excludable housing allowance:
  • Actual housing expenses, July 1-December 31
  • Fair rental value plus cost of utilities for the same period
The actual amount of excludable housing allowance is equal to the lesser of these three amounts. The pastor and church should keep in mind that up to 100% of his salary can be excludable as housing allowance within the guidelines described above.


  1. What if the minister is terminated mid-year? Let's say the minister was paid through June 30th. Can the church designate a portion of severance as parsonage and can the minister take advantage of the housing allowance for expenses incurred after termination (July 1 thorugh Dec. 1)? The argument for this might be that he has not stopped being a minister and has not stopped performing many ministerial duties, but may be in between jobs.

  2. Thank you, Brian, for your question.

    While the IRS offers no guidance on severance pay designated as housing allowance, it is our understanding that severance pay is payment for the minister’s prior services. From this argument, severance pay could be designated as housing allowance.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f