Skip to main content

2014 Social Security Updates


I understand that some of the numbers used to compute my Social Security benefit may have been updated for 2014. Is this the case, and, if so, what are the new amounts?


Yes, the Social Security Administration (SSA) updates some of its numbers each year based on the Consumer Price Index. Below is a list of the major changes from a recent Social Security press release:
  • PIA increased by a 1.5% Cost-of-living adjustment (COLA)
  • Maximum PIA increased from $2,533 to $2,642
  • The first "bend point" in PIA calculations has increased from $791 to $816; the second has increased from $4,768 to $4,917
  • Earnings exempt from the earnings test for those under full retirement age (FRA) increased from $15,120 to $15,480
  • Maximum taxable earnings for Social Security increased from $113,700 to $117,000
  • Earnings for one quarter of coverage increased from $1,160 to $1,200
The press release also describes other 2014 changes. Each of the topics mentioned in this update have been covered in previous MinistryCPA posts; click on the "Social Security" topic on the blog's sidebar for more detailed coverage.


Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Debits and Credits for Designated Gifts

Question: A church is setting up QuickBooks for its accounting, but its personnel have little experience with fund accounting. What are the entries for the receipt and disbursement of designated gifts and the opening balances? Answer: We recommend that most churches that do not need to present financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) observe the following steps. Even those churches that do report using GAAP can employ these methods but must make some adjustments when preparing their financial statements. What we will demonstrate relates to what most churches call "designated gifts" (CPAs call these  Temporarily Restricted  gifts). These are gifts that donors contribute with the intention that the church will spend the funds as they direct. Most churches do not receive "endowment gifts" in which donors prohibit the expenditure of the core gift (CPAs call these  Permanently Restricted  gifts). Only earnings on the subsequ

Rental of a Church Parsonage to a Non-Minister

Question: A church owns a parsonage, but the pastor does not use it as he owns his own home. The church rents the parsonage to a tenant other than a minister or employee of the church. Will the church be responsible for paying income tax on these monies as Unrelated Business Income (filing a Form 990-T) even if the money is used to carry on the business of the church? Answer: Whether the money is used for church purposes is irrelevant.  IRS Publication 598  states: "If an exempt organization regularly carries on a trade or business not substantially related to its exempt purpose, except that it provides funds to carry out that purpose, the organization is subject to tax on its income from that unrelated trade or business." Fortunately, in the case of rental income from real property, such income is "excluded in computing unrelated business taxable income" (Publication 598). Caution: see content below regarding debt-financed property.  However, a second concern not a