Skip to main content

Don’t Use a Tax PREPARER and Don’t DIY Online -- Use a Tax PROFESSIONAL

Your financial stewardship is too important to trust to a tax preparer (someone who only fills out tax forms) or a do-it-yourself tax software.

A true tax professional views the preparation of your tax returns as a final, relatively simple step. Well before that time the professional serves you with forward-thinking strategies for your financial health. This is true whether you are a year-after-year Form W-2 employee earner or a business owner in an ever-changing financial landscape.

Families whose primary sources of income are reported as Form W-2 wages have both before and after year-end tax opportunities that tax pros use to serve their clients and to offer services that more than pay for themselves.

  • Planning ahead: Your tax professional simply reminds you that your daughter will turn 17 next year—that’s typically a $1,500 hit to your wallet. BUT when your tax pro asks and then understands that she is also starting her college education next fall, your advisor reminds you that a tax credit will more than offset the $1,500 loss.
  • Last minute no brainer: Your tax pro warns you that you’re going to have $2,600 to repay due to a Premium Tax Credit you took on your health care coverage last year. BUT up until April 15th you can still add some money to your Health Savings Account and knock that $2,600 down quite a bit.
Entrepreneur families enjoy the same and even greater potential gains from engaging a true tax professional. We’re not trying to say that a store-front tax preparer or a software program cannot submit an error-free return. Rather, it’s a matter of financial stewardship over one of most business owners’ largest year-after-year costs—federal and state income and self-employment taxes.

  • Planning ahead: December projections of your final current year income and deductions lead your tax professional to believe you’ll have a significant balance due to pay next April 15th. But, unless you feel like paying it earlier than necessary, you are advised to have the cash available when the deadline arrives. Your tax pro doesn’t stop there because he or she also knows that April 15th is the due date for the first quarterly estimate payment for the new year—and with your growing profits it’s going to be even more than last year. You don’t necessarily like the news, but you’d rather know in December that a big tax bill is coming rather than having a tax preparer or DIY software deliver the late-breaking, back-breaking news.
  •  Last minute no brainer: You are in business, so there ought to be some benefits—right? And there are. You bought some new office or production equipment last year. Now is the time to decide just how much to write off as a deduction. Your tax professional will assess current year and multiple year benefits before making the current year decision.
These few examples are just that—a few of the many ways that tax professionals can serve you. MinistryCPA tax professionals find particular delight in serving employee and entrepreneur families’ needs. We demand of ourselves a thorough knowledge both of current and future activities and objectives. No client’s stewardship is too inconsequential nor too overwhelming for us to roll up our sleeves and engage our training and experience to serve. We will be thankful for the opportunity to discuss with you whether MinistryCPA should become your tax professional.
woman biting pencil while sitting on chair in front of computer during daytime
Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash


Popular posts from this blog

Rental of a Church Parsonage to a Non-Minister

Question: A church owns a parsonage, but the pastor does not use it as he owns his own home. The church rents the parsonage to a tenant other than a minister or employee of the church. Will the church be responsible for paying income tax on these monies as Unrelated Business Income (filing a Form 990-T) even if the money is used to carry on the business of the church? Answer: Whether the money is used for church purposes is irrelevant.  IRS Publication 598  states: "If an exempt organization regularly carries on a trade or business not substantially related to its exempt purpose, except that it provides funds to carry out that purpose, the organization is subject to tax on its income from that unrelated trade or business." Fortunately, in the case of rental income from real property, such income is "excluded in computing unrelated business taxable income" (Publication 598). Caution: see content below regarding debt-financed property.  However, a second concern not a

Form 944 or 941 Filing for Churches

Question:   A new church filed for an employer identification number (EIN) recently. It received notification from the IRS about the EIN, stating that the church must file Form 944 by the following January deadline. The church has no non-ministerial staff members. Since income tax withholding is elective by ministers and none of the pastors has elected to request non-mandatory withholding is the church required to file Form 944 annually? Also, a quarterly Form 941 (rather than an annual Form 944) is required of some employers. Which IRS form, if any, should be filed? Answer: According to IRS Section 1402(c) and 3121(c), ministers are not subject to mandatory income tax withholding. Unless one or more ministerial employees request non-mandatory withholding, church employers with only ministerial employees do not need to file Form 941 or Form 944.  The IRS  Ministers Audit Technique Guide  explains in further detail a minister's treatments for social security, Medicare tax, Fed

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries