Skip to main content

Form 1099-MISC and "Bad" Advice


My husband is a church planter and receives support from various churches throughout the US. Some of these churches we have visited and some we have not. Some have sent onetime gifts while others send us support monthly. In some cases, we have received several gifts from a church on sporadic occasions. I am at my wits end with this only because many other church planters and pastors have advised me differently. What some consider income, others do not. What some consider gifts, others do not. The internet seems filled with many who believe all is taxable and an equal number who are willing to fight that none of it is taxable unless he performed services directly for the church giving the gift. We have not received any 1099s. Some of the support is received through our sponsoring church. Should they be doing one 1099 for the money they receive and pass onto us, or should we get separate 1099s from every church that sends us support? Do you have any guidance or direction for me? My eyes are sore from all the IRS publications I have read these past few days.


I can empathize with your dilemma. Many churches do not understand or comply with the Form 1099 rules. They are required by law to prepare a Form 1099-MISC for any individual to whom they pay $600 of non-employee compensation within a calendar year. Regardless of the churches' compliance, church planters are required to report 100% of their support as taxable income. The IRS's mid-1990s Market Segment Specialization Program and every pronouncement since has clarified for its agents that the income described in the question posed above must be reported by a minister.

Many church planters request that their contributors (individual and churches) forward their gifts to a mission agency or sponsoring church (these amounts are not reportable on Form 1099-MISC because they are not paid directly to "individuals"). Then the agency or sponsoring church can disburse the funds to the church planter, often taking advantage of other provisions of the tax code in order to legally minimize one's tax burden. This organization then issues the proper IRS form to the church planter.

Unfortunately, some ministers fail to report income not reported to them on Form 1099-MISC and advice others to do the same.

See my January 22, 2009, blog entry for more discussion on this topic.


Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Special Topic: U.S. Olympic Champion Ben Peterson's Autobiography "Road to Gold"

Road to Gold , by Ben Peterson We are privileged to serve our client Ben Peterson and Camp of Champs, the wrestling ministry he founded   and directs. Ben wrestled for more than 16 years, coached on a collegiate level for 28  years, and has directed Camp of Champs for more than 40 years. We have read his autobiography and found Ben's dedication to the sport and his faith to be inspiring. If you are looking for a good story we highly recommend Ben's  Road to Gold. In Road to Gold , Ben shares the lessons he learned throughout his upbringing and how they led him to achieve Olympic victory. Ben states a key element of his youth was the consistency of his parents. He was encouraged to read the Bible every day from an early age, which he now describes as the most stabilizing habit in his life. Throughout his story Ben also emphasizes the importance of confidence, solid goals, hard work, and consistency. These qualities helped Ben throughout his life and wrestling career, from learni

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f