Skip to main content

Gifts to Ministers (Taxable or Not?)


A question has been posed regarding gifts to ministers, a topic I addressed in detail in a December 15, 2008, posting. A tax preparer has counselled a church that gifts from individuals to individuals are non-deductible (to the donor) and non-taxable (to the recipient). Does this condition also apply to gifts from an employer to an employee? Specifically, when a church congregation (the employer) collects donations to give to its pastor (the employee) are these gifts treated in the same manner as individual-to-individual gifts?

Here's the conditions behind the current question: "the church solicits them from the congregation and asks to have checks made to cash or to give cash to the church and then it is divided up to the pastor, youth pastor, etc."


Fortunately, the pipe wrench I bought my wife for Christmas at Ace Hardware is not taxable to her. Unfortunately, I cannot take a tax deduction for it. (Just kidding -- really!)

The same is true when an individual member gives a gift to another member of the church who happens to be the pastor.

However, it's entirely a different story when an employer (the church congregation acting as a corporate body) takes a collection and gives it to its employee (the pastor). As a 501(c)(3) organization, a church is a qualified charitable organization. Gifts to it are tax-deductible. Compensation paid to an employee (in any form other than those I specified in my earlier blog entry) is taxable.

Some tax preparers may confuse tax law related to individual-paid gifts (part of the gift and estate tax code) and employer-paid gifts. All I needed to hear in the above question was "the church solicits..." and I knew we were addressing compensation issues, not gift issues. Making checks out to cash accomplishes nothing to defeat both the letter and spirit of the law.


  1. Thank you for the helpful information. I am the church treasurer, and recently I needed to find a way to process a donation that one of parishioners made to our priest. The check was written to the church, with memo line "To the priest & family". Trying to figure out if it's taxable, I received conflicting info from web, local CPA, and even IRS (I called there and spoke to 5 different agents - none of them knew how to address this situation!).
    So, in the situation when church DID NOT solicit donation and it came as a true love offering, I notified donor that this gift is not tax-deductible to them (per IRS Pub. 526). But the rest - whether I should pass the same amount or treat is as a taxable bonus - is still unclear. What is your suggestion? Thanks.

  2. It seems as if the church is simply serving as a conduit (perhaps to maintain the anonymity of the donor) for a personal gift: non-deductible expenditure by the donor and non-taxable receipt to the recipient.

  3. What about a case where a donor would like to give a car to a missionary where the situation is that there is no solicitation, the mission agency is not involved in the transfer, it is from one individual to another, and the donor is not interested in a tax deduction?

  4. A gift to a missionary of a car by a friend is not taxable to the missionary nor deductible by the donor.

  5. Sorry to belabor the point, but in relation to the previous question, if the donor is a long time supporter of the missionary through the organization, and a friend for even longer than that, would your answer change in any way?

  6. This post and discussion was a great help!! Thank you!


  7. If the church gives a weekly church check to a retired minister as a gift and no services rendered from the retired miister would the church still do a 1099 to him?

  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

  9. We believe that a previous MinistryCPA blog post will provide the answer to your question: Retired Minister Continued Support from His Congregation.

  10. What if an individual gives a car to the church (wants a tax deduction) for the Pastor's family. If the church then gives the car to the Pastor, is it taxable?

  11. Freddie,

    We believe that you will find the answer to your question in previous comments in this thread; both the issue of donating a car and the church as a conduit are addressed.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rental of a Church Parsonage to a Non-Minister

Question: A church owns a parsonage, but the pastor does not use it as he owns his own home. The church rents the parsonage to a tenant other than a minister or employee of the church. Will the church be responsible for paying income tax on these monies as Unrelated Business Income (filing a Form 990-T) even if the money is used to carry on the business of the church? Answer: Whether the money is used for church purposes is irrelevant.  IRS Publication 598  states: "If an exempt organization regularly carries on a trade or business not substantially related to its exempt purpose, except that it provides funds to carry out that purpose, the organization is subject to tax on its income from that unrelated trade or business." Fortunately, in the case of rental income from real property, such income is "excluded in computing unrelated business taxable income" (Publication 598). Caution: see content below regarding debt-financed property.  However, a second concern not a

Form 944 or 941 Filing for Churches

Question:   A new church filed for an employer identification number (EIN) recently. It received notification from the IRS about the EIN, stating that the church must file Form 944 by the following January deadline. The church has no non-ministerial staff members. Since income tax withholding is elective by ministers and none of the pastors has elected to request non-mandatory withholding is the church required to file Form 944 annually? Also, a quarterly Form 941 (rather than an annual Form 944) is required of some employers. Which IRS form, if any, should be filed? Answer: According to IRS Section 1402(c) and 3121(c), ministers are not subject to mandatory income tax withholding. Unless one or more ministerial employees request non-mandatory withholding, church employers with only ministerial employees do not need to file Form 941 or Form 944.  The IRS  Ministers Audit Technique Guide  explains in further detail a minister's treatments for social security, Medicare tax, Fed

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries