Skip to main content

Should I opt out of Social Security?


Should I "opt out" of the Social Security system?


First, some background information:

The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) exempts ministers from mandatory federal and state income tax and Medicare and Social Security (FICA) tax withholding by their employers. However, if they do not elect to have income tax withholding, then most ministers must file and pay federal and state estimated tax vouchers.

In any case, the employers of ministers are not permitted to withhold and match the 7.65 percent FICA tax. Instead, the minister (unless he opts out of the Social Security system) is responsible to pay the entire 15.3 percent self-employment tax (SECA). Many ministers elect to have additional federal income tax withheld so that the excess can be applied to their self-employment tax obligation at the time they file their annual Form 1040.

Now, let's consider what opting out of Social Security might mean:

1. A minister may apply to opt out of the Social Security system only within the first two years of receiving at least $400 of self-employment earnings of which any portion is earned in connection to his services ministry as a licensed or ordained minister. (The IRS Minister's Audit Techniques Guide provides guidance as to the Service's answered to the question "Who Qualifies For Special Treatment As A Minister?"

2. Social security tax-exempt status applies only to ministerial income. FICA tax will continue to be withheld by non-ministerial employers, if any. SECA tax will be due on any non-ministry self-employment income.

3. Ministers who have opted out may still qualify for Medicare and Social Security benefits if they meet the minimum requirements (typically 10 years). FICA and SECA tax paid on non-ministerial income helps a minister gain eligibility for Medicare benefits, even if the minister has opted out with regard to his ministerial income. Social Security benefits are based on wage history and, accordingly, may be severely limited when most of the minister's career income has not contributed to his life-time earnings. 

4. If choosing to opt out, a minister must provide adequate retirement funds, long-term disability savings or insurance, life insurance or survivor savings, and retirement era health care for himself. 

5. While beyond the scope of this blog post, ministers should also understand the return on investment (ROI) of remaining in Social Security, especially in light of a three-tiered calculation used by the Social Security Administration after determining one's "Average Indexed Monthly Earnings" (AIME). Briefly, the first roughly $900 of one's AIME returns 90% of that amount in Social Security benefits. Higher levels of earnings add significantly less to one's benefits. In most cases, minister's earnings hover in the lower range of career AIME.

6. Ministers applying for exemption must certify a statement of conscientious objection. An attempt at our paraphrase of the statement - "I am opposed to the government provision of financial support that is the responsibility of my church or Christian ministry to provide relative to my services as a minister. I believe it is the responsibility of these organizations to provide for me and my dependents 'in the event of death, disability, old age, [and] retirement' (Form 4361)." See Form 4361 for the full statement.

By opting out, ministers can save thousands of dollars each year in self-employment taxes, but they must have a plan to gain minimum eligibility for Medicare and Social Security benefits and to replace its lost benefits. Do not base a decision on rumors that the federal system might fail. In our opinion, if the economic woes of the U.S. become so acute that the politicians are forced to deny benefits to millions of retirees, then personal investment accounts will be severely impacted as well.


Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Form 944 or 941 Filing for Churches

Question:   A new church filed for an employer identification number (EIN) recently. It received notification from the IRS about the EIN, stating that the church must file Form 944 by the following January deadline. The church has no non-ministerial staff members. Since income tax withholding is elective by ministers and none of the pastors has elected to request non-mandatory withholding is the church required to file Form 944 annually? Also, a quarterly Form 941 (rather than an annual Form 944) is required of some employers. Which IRS form, if any, should be filed? Answer: According to IRS Section 1402(c) and 3121(c), ministers are not subject to mandatory income tax withholding. Unless one or more ministerial employees request non-mandatory withholding, church employers with only ministerial employees do not need to file Form 941 or Form 944.  The IRS  Ministers Audit Technique Guide  explains in further detail a minister's treatments for social security, Medicare tax, Fed

When you don't know what you don't know

Here at MinistryCPA, we recognize that many churches rely on volunteers and/or part-time treasurers and financial secretaries.  With this in mind, we seek to come alongside ministries in providing the much-needed support to ensure that they are operating in a manner that is both compliant with governing authorities and taking advantage of opportunities for improved stewardship of ministry and employer financial resources.  Please consider this brief checklist to determine if your ministry needs to look further into areas that could be classified as “We don’t know if we are compliant.” Please check all compliance requirements that are currently being met: File quarterly Form 941 or annual Form 944 with the IRS Issue Forms W-2 to all employees and File Forms W-2/ W-3 with SSA Ministerial Housing Allowance is only listed in box 14 of the Form W-2 – it is not included in box 1 Obtain Form W-9 from all individuals/businesses that are paid the cumulative total of $600 or more in the year f