Skip to main content

Church and NPOs’ Employee Contributions by Payroll Deduction (Part 1)


A church treasurer asks, “Is tithing from payroll legally acceptable? And, if yes, how can I set it up through QuickBooks?”


Many church and not-for-profit organizations find that their own staff members are among their most faithful donors! And, yes, it’s actually a good option for some employees. Of course, the same confidentiality and fidelity that oversees the charitable gifts of others to the employer must be exercised on behalf of staff members.

In QuickBooks (Desktop version), set up a new payroll item and follow the sequence presented below.

Give the deduction a name. The church or NPO could even set up multiple payroll items if some employees wanted to make designated gifts other than unrestricted contributions.

Keep working through the sequence of intuitive QuickBooks windows until you reach the following setup window. None of the options here should be checked.

Next… AND VERY CRITICAL to calculate on net pay.

The final window enables the employer to set up default amounts. But since each employee will likely be different, we recommend leaving these amounts blank.

Employees should be receipted just as other donors. Their donations do not reduce employee compensation, but they can, of course, consider itemizing their deductions as other taxpayers do.


Popular posts from this blog

Review: Form 1099 Payments to 501(c)(3) Organizations

Question: A church rented space from another church last year. Should it request a completed Form W-9 and issue Form 1099-MISC? Answer: Payments from one 501(c)(3) organization to another 501(c)(3) organization are not subject to Form 1099-MISC reporting. The IRS Instructions for Form 1099-MISC state that "payments to a tax-exempt organization" are exempt from reporting a Form 1099-MISC.  The following are typical examples of payments of $600 or more by a church which are subject to reporting a Form 1099-MISC: Rent paid to an individual (non-corporation) Payments for services rendered by individuals who are not employees (e.g. janitorial service, facilities, snow removal, guest speakers) Support sent directly to missionaries

Debits and Credits for Designated Gifts

Question: A church is setting up QuickBooks for its accounting, but its personnel have little experience with fund accounting. What are the entries for the receipt and disbursement of designated gifts and the opening balances? Answer: We recommend that most churches that do not need to present financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) observe the following steps. Even those churches that do report using GAAP can employ these methods but must make some adjustments when preparing their financial statements. What we will demonstrate relates to what most churches call "designated gifts" (CPAs call these  Temporarily Restricted  gifts). These are gifts that donors contribute with the intention that the church will spend the funds as they direct. Most churches do not receive "endowment gifts" in which donors prohibit the expenditure of the core gift (CPAs call these  Permanently Restricted  gifts). Only earnings on the subsequ

Rental of a Church Parsonage to a Non-Minister

Question: A church owns a parsonage, but the pastor does not use it as he owns his own home. The church rents the parsonage to a tenant other than a minister or employee of the church. Will the church be responsible for paying income tax on these monies as Unrelated Business Income (filing a Form 990-T) even if the money is used to carry on the business of the church? Answer: Whether the money is used for church purposes is irrelevant.  IRS Publication 598  states: "If an exempt organization regularly carries on a trade or business not substantially related to its exempt purpose, except that it provides funds to carry out that purpose, the organization is subject to tax on its income from that unrelated trade or business." Fortunately, in the case of rental income from real property, such income is "excluded in computing unrelated business taxable income" (Publication 598). Caution: see content below regarding debt-financed property.  However, a second concern not a